.THE LAKE CHAMPLAIN OPEN WATERS FORECAST...
.A LAKE WIND ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT...
.REST OF TODAY...SOUTH WINDS 30 TO 40 KNOTS. WAVES 4 TO 6 FEET.
.TONIGHT....SOUTH WINDS 30 TO 40 KNOTS. WAVES 4 TO 6 FEET.
.MONDAY...SOUTH WINDS 30 TO 40 KNOTS.
I detect a trend!
What were the implications for the winter kayaker?
2) Maybe not going so fast upwind.
3) Plenty fast downwind.
4) Launching into the wind from a concrete ramp didn't look inviting, so we seal-launched off a snow covered dock.
5) Kayaks blow across the parking lot unless you set them between 2 cars.
6) It takes 3 people to put a boat on the roof rack. Two to hold it down while the 3rd straps it on.
7) The plowed road into the Coast Guard station was drifted over with snow when we left. Good thing I got the snow tires on last week.
8) Wind-chill was strong enough that "de-icing" rolls seemed to just pack more ice on the PFD zipper. I ended up driving home in the full gear (drysuit, tuiliq, and PFD)
and finally hosed the zipper with the hot water spray at the kitchen sink to get it undone.